Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Letter to the Editor

So I sent off a letter to the editor to The Advance. It's concerning the old rail bed in Summerville Centre and converting it to a trail. Apparently Summerville is one of the few spots in Queens that it's not cleared. This is because people don't want ATVs in their backyards. I offered a different option. I really hope they can get this done.


Dear Editor

As an active-ish person, I would like to see the rails to trails path finished in Summerville Centre. I would love to see that rail bridge near Summverville Beach completed to provide safe passage across the river. Me and my wife bike to the beach whenever we can, but find it a bit dangerous biking Old HWY 3. I would love to have the path finished so we could bike safely along the coast, especially when we have kids. There's the complaint about the ATVs, but who says we would have to allow them access? The trail in Summverville can be non-motorized used only (walking/biking). I brought this idea up at an Queens County ATV Association meeting, saying that the trail could be non-motorized use then perhaps allow ATVs later on. Apparently I was doing stand-up as the room had a good laugh about the idea. Anyway, there are plenty of walkers and bikers who would love to see the trail finished. I'd love to hear what other Summverville residents have to say. 

Thanks!
Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment