Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Micro Review: Psychonauts

I finally got around to playing Psychonauts. Released in 2005, it was critically acclaimed, but sold very, very poorly. Hard copies are no longer sold, but it's available via digital distribution, such as Steam. I was able to snag it during a Steam sale and have been meaning to play it even since I've heard about it. Well, if you want the short review of Psychonauts, it's awesome. It's hilarious and the gameplay is fun and you need to buy it and play it. Right now. Go, go now. Now now nownow...

The Campers of Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp

If you're still reading, I guess you want to hear bit more about the game. The plot centeres around a boy named Razputin, who's run away from the circus to sneak into a summer camp for psychic children. The camp is actually a secret government training facility for the children who hope to one day become Psychonauts, psychic secret agents. Of course, things happen and its up to Raz to save the day.
Be a Psychonaut! Save the world! Enlist today!

When I first started playing Psychonauts, I was worried that it would suffer the same fate as Freedom Force. That game revolved around controlling superheroes and I had heard good things about it. It was very campy which gave it a very enjoyable style. However, after I got deeper into the game, it became more difficult and I finally resorted to cheating to finish it. I was worried that the gameplay in Psychonauts would become too difficult to be able to enjoy the story and humour. Thankfully this wasn't the case.
I too dream of going to psychic summer camp

I was challenged, but at no point was I frustrated at the game. The difficult areas took time, but I knew what I did wrong and what I had to do to beat it. Even the final level, the infamous 'Meat Circus,' wasn't all that bad. Now I must say that there were difficult areas, and that patience is required to get through them, but I saw nothing 'game breaking' or 'controller throwingly' difficult.

Ummm... this wont really make sense unless you played the game...
It barely makes sense if you have...

There are a lot of collectibles that you can use to level up in rank which unlocks more powers. I enjoyed collecting items and gaining rank, powers and abilities. They're entirely optional, but they do help getting through some of the more difficult areas.
A concept drawing for one of the many beautifully imagined levels. Yes, it's a dog selling paintings

The level design is incredible. The way the game plays out is that each level is someone's mind. As a psychic, you're able to enter and run around in people's heads, solving puzzles and resolving deep emotional issues. Each mind is unique, offering vastly different designs and gameplay. I was impressed by each level and loved exploring what each person's mind had to offer. Speaking of varied levels, I need to mention No One Lives Forever, k, I'll get back to the review. The arts style in itself is is astounding, with exaggerated physical features that almost make characters seem inhuman and landscapes that feel dreamlike.

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Boss battle time!!

Psychonauts, being a Tim Schafer game, has its strongest strength in its humour, its story and its characters. Tim is known for his humour and creating games, such as Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango, that suck you in and stay in your mind well after you've played them. The writing is sharp and you'll spend time going around hearing what everyone has to say or how they react to different situations.

"Yes, we all work on the road crew. Our backs are killing us."

So, what else can I say? It's a hilarious, challenging platformer that is considered a classic. If you don't already have a Steam account, go get one, then buy Psychonauts. Don't forget to let me know what you think.


The boardgame level

Tank boss battle

Heading to class

You're crazy if you haven't bought and played this game after reading this review!

No comments:

Post a Comment